Skip to main content

My Lonely Trip to "the" Itaewon 이태원; How Does This Place Look Like?

Let me get straight to the point. I came across 10 Transgender Bars. This blog post will be super useful for you if you are planning to visit Itaewon 이태원 of Korea, or simply interested in how does this "infamous" place looks like. I'm not sure how non-Koreans heard of Itaewon; but in Korea, it is commonly thought of as a non-conservative, rowdy, dirty and an "adult" place. It is even referred to as a Red Light District from time to time.

So,,, how does this place really look like?? Let's just go and see it for myself.

Let's take a moment to look at this Transgender Bar.
Can't believe this is Korea wtf

     And that's how I ended up going to Itaewon, alone. To make the story short, it was a night on June 27th 2018, the FIFA World Cup day where Korea had an epic match with Germany. I had a Spicy Cold Noodle, called Bibimmyeon, with my grandma. And at about 9 pm, I told her that I will go out and just walk around. Being my kind & amazing grandma, she was worried, as Korea isn't really a very safe country to be out at night, and plus, I was alone.

      So, I couldn't come home too late as my grandma would be worried. And I was pretty damn sure that she wouldn't be asleep till she saw me back home. So I had to have a quick visit.

     When I reached Itaewon station via Metro, (oh btw, take a look at Korea Seoul Metro Map if you have time. You will cry) it was like 10.15 pm. So I asked one of the officer there what time will be the last train towards Gimpo Airport. And he said it should be around 10.50 pm. Wow really?

     So basically I had about 25 minutes (10.20 - 10.45 pm) to explore around Itaewon as much as possible. That was seemingly an impossible thing to do. And true enough, I couldn't visit every parts of Itaewon, but I'm pretty sure I visited all the popular places.

Let's begin.

Once you reach Itaewon and its tap-out area, it would look like this.


The toilet which I used and am damn sure at least 500 people uses it per day;
it isn't clean

After going up the escalator, you can either turn left or right.

When you turn left

When you turn right

I turned left and went up the staircase, and the first thing I saw was this luxurious hotel called "Hamilton Hotel". It seems like the signature hotel of Itaewon.


when will I ever get to use this hotel with a girlfriend

Then you will see this huge ass "Oriental Massage building" with "Olive Young" across the street. Before you cross, you'll see a small building with a bank and bars on top.

That VIEW 33 bar looks awesome...

The only bank I saw

When you turn right after seeing Oriental Massage building;
this is the way towards many Transgender bars
                                      

This is how the whole area looks like when you turned "right" after going up the escalator:







When you cross the street towards the Oriental Massage building and continue walking straight:



Olive Young is closed LOL

Shops across the street


This is the popular Itaewon police station



PC bang aka LAN

I think this is Big Bang SeungRi's noodle store

Okay from here, the photos got messed up and I also forgot where exactly I walked into. So pardon me for the lack of explanation.

One of gloomy streets


Motel for couples who can't afford Hamilton Hotel 😂

I came across this gay sauna called "Hyundae Sauna", which is the only known gay sauna near this area. I won't add any more comments but please do check the Google reviews should you visit this place.

Transgender Bar #0 + Gay Sauna

So I went IN to take photo of this, and the moment I entered,
there was this sound alert system to notice my presence.
So I quickly took this picture and ran off.

Many many Transgender bars from here.

Pig's trotter store aka Jokbal, beside
Transgender Bar #1
(놀러와 nol luh wah)



This is just awesome though

Many restaurants

Transgender Bar #2
(Trans)

Transgender Bar #3
(오라 oh-ra)

GROOVE Lounge Pub?
sounds like a fun place to visit with friends

Transgender Bar #4
(Kelly)

Wtf is Pearl
Club ZION
See the Red Blue Green Yellow circles? Those are Billiards.
But be careful cos they are likely Korean-style billiards with 3 balls which you guys wouldn't know how to play


I came across this road called "Usadan-ro 12-gil", and this is the supposed Itaewon Homo Hill aka Gay Hill, if I'm not wrong. And when I turned in to take a look, it was empty.

Homo Hill + Transgender Bar #5
                    (아나따 Ah na dda)

There are supposed to be gays here but it was empty

Transgender Bar #6
(Alice)

Further up the Homo Hill

Miracle Bar - couldn't tell if it is a Transgender Bar so I'll pass

Reached end of the Hill, so I turned back

Transgender Bar #7
(Venus)

Transgender Bar #8
(보라보라 Bora Bora)

Atas looking Apple Bar

You can buy simple drinks here.
The only place that felt like Singapore cos the counter uncle was an Indian sir

What a gloomy street.. and what is that VIP shop wth

This building is a total lit!!!!!
copyright ⓒ BlackjackBoy

Transgender Bar #9
(it literally states "Transgender Club 2F")

A shop where you can get various Documents
+ another Motel for couples who can't afford Hamilton Hotel

Transgender Bar #3 (Oh-ra) beside VAMOS
Pharmacy on the right

Apple Bourbon, Absolut, Bombay, Jose Cuervo, Jagermeister or Jameson for 79000₩
and Jack Daniels for 89000₩
Pls see for yourself if they're considered cheap for you or not
In Singapore, a bottle like that in a bar costs at least S$120+

Where am I

Conservative looking Bar found

this is when you turn right again after turning right before the Oriental Massage building
That green mart on the right is a Korean Mart called "Core" which sells considerably cheap stuffs

This is the way I will need to take when I'm returning to the metro station

Many people were actually watching the World Cup in bars, where Korea historically won Germany with 2-0. Pretty sure all these people ended up screaming in joy.


These people wouldn't have known that that match would become legendary

Walked into some beef restaurant 황소마을

Many more beef and pork restaurants

That "Republic Of Korea VS Germany June 27th 23:00" though!!
This bar is a lit as well

A sudden outburst of an "Adult Toy" shop

Restaurants

Classic looking "Korean Dining & Bar"
When will I get to visit these places with a girlfriend

Super-Korean restaurant

When I was about to return to the metro station, it was 10.48 pm, and it was 10.18 pm when I first took the picture of Hamilton Hotel. So I took exactly 30 minutes. Can you guys believe I went through all those places and even took the pictures in 30 minutes?

Exit 4

Bye Itaewon, it was a fun & lonely 30 minutes of exploration

Going down



By the way, the same officer whom I asked about the last train earlier? He was standing at the gantry, waiting for me! He anxiously told me that I just made it in time, and that Line 4 has already closed, so I need to take to "Gongdeok" in Line 5, then take towards "Gimpo International Airport" station.

Just a quick explanation, to get to Gimpo Airport station, I would normally take this route:
Itaewon (Line 6) → Samgakji (Line 4/6) → Seoul Station (Line A/1/4) → Gimpo Int'l Airport (Line A/5/9) via Airport Metro

And I think Airport Metro was closed at that time as well, so I had to use the only other way:
Itaewon (Line 6) → Gongdeok (Line A/GJ/5/6) → Gimpo Int'l Airport (Line A/5/9)

COMPLICATED. Please do study the Seoul Metro Map beforehand if you wish to travel to Korea cos trust me, it is not a joke.

Way Back Home

Is this Midnight Meat Train

Lonely Train Ride

Finally reached my house station and there was no more train;
I really took the last train!

And this was when Korea just scored 2 goals against Germany, and I heard two girls saying loud in Korean, "OMG Son Heung Min scored again!!!". I actually couldn't check the live scores at that moment as I'm using a Singapore phone, so I had to depend on free WiFi which I didn't have.

Drunken Man on Street;
this is life

And as I walked to my house, I heard people screaming in joy in bars and restaurants. It was exactly 12 at midnight. What a day it was.

There are quite a number of bars and restaurants near my house;
screams were heard in this street

Itaewon is such a popular place in Korea that every adult knows,
and there is even a popular webtoon called "Itaewon Class",
which I read after the solo Itaewon trip
UPDATE 2020: This movie became a Drama

Spicy Cold Noodle (Bibimmyeon) that my grandma made for me☆
Love my grandma♡
P.S. she was awake waiting for me when I reached home😁

In just 30 minutes of Itaewon trip, I came across 10 Transgender Bars and many clubs & normal bars.

So, how do you think of Itaewon?



Cheers,
BlackjackBoy

Popular posts from this blog

Hospital Roommate

Randy got into an accident and was sent to an emergency room in a hospital. He was hospitalized. He got into a two-people room and hence met a roommate. The roommate also met in an accident and lost an arm, and she was in a fatal state. She also did not had any family members, and Randy wanted to care for her. He talked to her frequently and listened to her problems well. They became very close friends. After a month, Randy had finally recovered and could leave. On the day he was discharged from the hospital, his roommate was away. She was busy with her surgery. However, he was too excited to go back to his home and meet his friends that he just left without waiting for his dear roommate. Randy enjoyed his life with friends and games as he was no longer sick , and totally forgot about his roommate. After a few days, he remembered about his sick roommate and felt extremely guilty. 'I must go back to the hospital today and talk to her, and see how is she doing.

Cursed Shampoo

It is the day my girlfriend died, or I should say, the day she killed herself. What an awful and a horrible day today is. Probably the worst day of my life, seriously. I still feel like vomiting, as if my stomach is going to be exploded. My entire body feels like it wants to crush into pieces, with all the despairing guilt. All the shocks that I received today is too much for me to believe, and I still cannot believe that whatever happened is true. My girlfriend committed suicide today, because of me. When I heard the news that she killed herself, I could not even cry because it was too scary and unbelievable. Someone killed herself because of me. Never in my life did I imagine such thing would happen. I feel hopeless, and want to seek for help. Find someone to talk to, cry in front of them, and confess all the regretful things that I have done to my girlfriend. First, my parents do not even know that I even have or had a girlfriend. And I am now living alone i